1. Health

Christine Luff

How to NOT Smell Like a Runner

By June 10, 2009

Running in the heat will not only make you sweaty, it can also leave you pretty, well, stinky. One of the problems is that technical fabrics -- which are great for running because they wick away your sweat -- trap bacteria (which causes the smell). I know runners who will complain that their technical running clothes still smell even AFTER they wash them. Here are a couple of tricks that can remove even the most stubborn odors from your running clothes:
  • Using baking soda helps. Pre-soak your clothes in a solution of water and Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (or just use water and a cup of baking soda). You can use the pre-soak setting on the washing machine or do it in a separate container. Then wash and use Arm and Hammer laundry detergent.
  • Try using a special detergent formulated for technical wear, such as WIN sports detergent.

In addition, there are lots of new odor-fighting running clothes on the market. Although they may sound too good to be true, these running clothes do actually help keep you dry and odor-free. Although some of them are a bit pricier than your average running shirts, it's worth the investment because they'll last longer and keep you smelling fresh!

More:

Comments
June 12, 2009 at 7:46 am
(1) Brian says:

I bought a commercial product that does the same thing and I believe it contains hydrogen peroxide. Since this stuff is known to kill germs, I think it makes sense that they would use it.

Aside from the risk of bleaching, it makes sense to try using Hydrogen Peroxide in the wash, but I would suggest doing a test load first, or be extra careful with colours!

June 12, 2009 at 10:28 am
(2) John says:

I have found that baking soda works. It is easy and inexpensive. I am glad you covered this issue because it is one of the things I don’t like about technical fabrics.

June 12, 2009 at 2:51 pm
(3) Megan says:

I LOVE Win!! It works wonders on my sweaty work out clothes. I use nothing else on my workout gear.

June 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm
(4) Roni says:

As the wife/mother of five athletes living in the tropics I found that a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the wash with your ordinary detergent works wonders … no more smell!

June 23, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(5) Kallelilly says:

The best solution I have found for getting rid of gnarly sweat smell…

Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar into the wash (with your detergent of choice).

If you do that…. no more nasty smell.

June 25, 2009 at 8:19 pm
(6) Audra says:

Try using an anti-bacterial baby wash product similar to what is used for cloth diapers – they are usually very gentle on fabrics but clean and sanitize very well.

July 15, 2010 at 11:57 am
(7) marianne says:

I use oxyclean (or an off brand of it) with all my running clothes, towels, sox, etc. This will even fight animal odors. It’s amazing!!!

July 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(8) Chris says:

I soak my items in a gallon bucket with a cup of white vinegar for about a half an hour. Pour the contents of the bucket into the washer when filling. I have many allergies so I have little choice of detergents and fabric softeners except Seventhth Generation Blue Eucalyptus & Lavender (which is amazing!) or free and clear. Soaking my running clothes in that solution does a better job than just using baking soda. Please don’t worry…the strong smell of vinegar dissapears in the wash.

July 19, 2010 at 1:40 am
(9) Pete says:

Prevention is better than the cure: I normally shower straight after a run and I put my running gear on the shower floor. As you shower, the shower gel & shampoo and a load of water run through the gear, washing out the sweat. I then hang them up to dry out. Once dry, I just put them in the laundry pile.

This way it’s OK if it’s a few days before I next run the washing machine since my gear isn’t stewing in sweat!

August 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(10) carboxiterapia info says:

I like the helpful information you supply on your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here frequently.
I’m moderately certain I’ll be informed a lot of new stuff right here!

Best of luck for the following!