1. Health

Christine Luff

Can I Run a Race With My Jogging Stroller?

By July 11, 2009

I'm a huge fan of jogging strollers, but when a running mom recently asked about running a race with her jogging stroller, I had to tell her it was a bad idea. I know race directors will agree with me and totally appreciate this PSA because they sometimes have a tough time enforcing jogging stroller bans in their races.

What's wrong with jogging strollers in races? Well, if you've ever run in a crowded race, you know how tough and exhausting it can be to try to maneuver around runners. When someone is pushing a stroller, it's even harder to work your way around them, and it's not fair to other runners to make them have to slow down.

It can also be unsafe for someone pushing a jogging stroller to try to move around other runners. Because most jogging strollers have a stationary front wheel, they can be difficult and awkward to turn. When trying to maneuver them in tight spaces, it's easy to clip someone or unknowingly cut someone off and cause a fall. It's also much harder to stop quickly when you're pushing a jogging stroller, so you run the risk of hitting into someone if they suddenly stop short in front of you.

Make it easier on yourself and run races stroller-free -- you'll definitely run faster. And if you really want to do a race with your little one, look for a walking event that is stroller-friendly.

More:

Comments
July 13, 2009 at 10:20 am
(1) Christie says:

Thank you for posting this! I have run several “stroller friendly” races and each one states that all strollers should start at the back of the pack. It’s very clear that this is for the safety of all runners, but there are always those who start right up front with their stroller and get in everyone’s way. My opinion…keep the babies at home!!

November 27, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(2) Devi says:

My opinion – Chrisite should not run stroller friendly races if she is bothered by it. Although I do agree that strollers should follow race regulations, very, very few races allow strollers and not all of us have the option to leave the baby at home. Family-friendly walk/run events, such as the turkey trot I ran yesterday, are great ways to get out with your little one & get back in shape.

March 19, 2010 at 11:14 am
(3) Annoyed says:

Seriously, complaining about strollers in races… You should be ashamed of yourselves. How about try encouraging new moms. It’s not like we are trying to qualify for the Olympics. Go around or wait 1 second and then go around. Running is a sport that doesn’t requires a lot of space and most race courses aren’t particularly narrow. A little congestion at the start of a race seems like a compromise you weekend warriors could deal with to get mommies and their babies out being active. Puh- lease! Let’s think about the health of our nation and not your ego!

April 1, 2011 at 3:16 am
(4) Erica says:

I was disheartened to read such an argument against racing with a stroller. I am a mom of a three-year old and training for a marathon. I have and will again do 5K races with my daughter. She LOVES the excitement, other runners always cheer me on and congratulate me for having the strength to run well with a stroller, and I am respectful enough of others to start in the back of the pack. So would you advice walkers to stay out of charity 5K’s that allow them and runners with strollers to not participate because they can get in the way of runners?

April 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(5) Jennier says:

I would love to be able to run more races with my daughter. She trains with me and my friends and she is a part of the group. I have only had one race so far that has allowed me to push her in a stroller. I think that as long as the people with strollers stay at the back, they should be allowed at most of the medium to small races. I raced Big D Half Marathon this past weekend and could have easily raced with my daughter in a stroller.

August 19, 2013 at 9:11 am
(6) Elise says:

What an obnoxious article. I am a new mom who did hundreds of races pre-baby. Before having my baby, I loved to see people of all levels of fitness out running, with or without a stroller. It’s not the Olympics. Suck it up and, if strollers are allowed, go around them.