1. Health

Christine Luff

Do You Use Your Cell Phone on the Run?

By July 22, 2009

If you've ever watched a marathon, you may have seen some runners chatting on their cell phones during the race. I've heard marathoners gabbing on their cell phones about things such as their location on the race course, how they're feeling, and what they've seen so far. I've even seen runners and read stories about people texting on the run, both in races and training runs.

Although I try to carry my cell phone for emergency purposes, I can't say that I've ever been tempted to chat on the phone while running. If I'm going to have a conversation with someone while running, I want them to be right next to me! Or, if I choose to run by myself, it's usually because I'm craving some alone time and I definitely don't want it interrupted with a phone call.

And, let's face it, chatting on the phone (even with a hands-free device) is not exactly the safest way to run. You may get distracted with your phone call or not be able to hear oncoming cars, bikes, or other runners. Texting while running obviously presents even bigger dangers.

How do feel about cell phone use while running? Do you think it's a good way to multi-task? Should cell phone use be banned from races (except for emergencies)? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

Related Links:

Comments
July 23, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(1) RichF says:

If you can talk on your cell while running, you aren’t running hard enough.

July 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm
(2) Suzann says:

I recently read about a girl who fell in a manhole/sewer drain while she was walking along and texting on her cell phone. I can’t even imagine doing that while I am running!

August 7, 2009 at 10:40 am
(3) ann says:

I never talk on my phone while running but I don’t leave without it – learned that one the hard way!

August 24, 2009 at 11:02 am
(4) eric says:

Great advantage when taking the phone for a run, is that you can use it for measuring your distance, time even map the run. There are a lot of easy to use applications like garmin, sportypal(freeware)…

February 13, 2012 at 9:06 am
(5) Jon says:

I bring my phone with me on most runs. It has a GPS running app that I use to track my time and distance. It also has mp3 player with speakers for my music. I put it in a plastic bag inside an elastic runner’s belt. It can be a bit bulky and of course a high risk of water damage but I’m willing to deal with that. I’ve never talked or texed while on the go; however, it’s nice to I have it in case of an emergency.

October 31, 2013 at 2:15 pm
(6) rld27 says:

Finally a comfortable solution to be able to carry your phone when you run along with money, keys anything! http://isportsbra.com/isportsbra/