1. Health

Christine Luff

Is It Safe to Reuse or Freeze Plastic Water Bottles?

By July 14, 2010

runner drinking water

If you often carry disposable plastic water bottles on your runs or use them at the gym, you may be a bit fearful about reusing them because of Internet rumors reporting poisoning from repeated washing and rinsing. Another rumor that's been circulating suggests that freezing a water bottle (a little trick I always recommend to keep water cold during hot runs) may release dioxins (chemicals) from the plastic.

Is reusing or freezing plastic bottles hazardous to your health? Check out this informative video that separates truth from rumors. The bottom line: Freezing water bottles is perfectly safe. As for reusing them, it's bacteria, not chemicals, that can be harmful to your health, so make sure you're washing them thoroughly. (And, no, don't put them in the dishwasher.)

More:

Photo by George Doyle

Comments
July 16, 2010 at 6:11 am
(1) Beebers says:

Can’t you just say yes or no without making the reader click on something else and take time watching a video? Too many about.com articles make you go somewhere else to get the real info that the headline promises….

July 16, 2010 at 8:12 am
(2) running says:

Thanks for your feedback, Beebers! I appreciate it. Sometimes I don’t want to ruin it for people who want to read the article or watch the video, but I understand people don’t always have time for further reading. I updated the post with some more info!

July 16, 2010 at 9:28 am
(3) pat m says:

Thanks! this makes a lot of sense! I was unsure about the safety of these and this puts my mind at ease.

people should avoid those bottles for different reasons though…years in the landfill if they aren’t recycled properly…

December 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm
(4) deb says:

Sorry, but I don’t buy the claims made in this video. There is far more information out there from very credible sources showing how and why these bottles are unsafe than this one video claiming it is safe.

I only use plastic that is BPA free. In Europe, they have banned all plactic that is NOT BPA free from anything made for children under 3.

May 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm
(5) Heather says:

Bpa is NOT safe to freeze it releases carcinogens , cancer causing chemicals! I am an RN in an Oncology unit the scientific FACT BASED STUDY was posted for our knowledge. You are spreading rumors . Educate before you inform!

October 4, 2013 at 1:00 am
(6) sdp says:

You have to ask WHY then isn’t there a Warning on the water bottles: DO NOT FREEZE… LIKE the warning on the side of a pack of cigarettes? I think until this warning is on the bottles, there must not be enough (if any) evidence to support the claim.