1. Health
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

Christine Luff

Running Injuries: When to See a Doctor

By February 7, 2014

Follow me on:

I've been guilty of "assuming the worst" when I have a running-related injury. I feel some pain in my shin and think, "Oh, no -- a stress fracture!" Thankfully, I'm usually just overreacting and the injury disappears on its own or with some self-treatment. But how do you know when your running injury warrants attention from a medical professional?

Most running injuries respond well to R.I.C.E treatment: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, and take about two weeks to heal. It's time to visit a sports medicine professional if your pain lasts longer than that, or if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • pain radiating to another area of the body
  • severe pain in a joint or bone
  • injury is very painful to the touch
  • significant swelling at the injured area
  • difficulty moving the injured part
  • numbness, tingling or weakness at the injury site

More About Running Injuries:

  • Common Running Injuries
  • When Can I Run Through Pain?
  • 7 Steps for Running Injury Prevention
  • Comments
    No comments yet. Leave a Comment
    Leave a Comment

    Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

    ©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

    We comply with the HONcode standard
    for trustworthy health
    information: verify here.