How to Apply for the New York City Marathon Lottery
The New York Road Runners (who organize the marathon) holds a marathon lottery drawing every spring. The lottery for the 2014 New York City Marathon is now open. You can apply at the New York Road Runners website here. The lottery will close on March 18, 2014 and the drawing will be held in late March.
How to Get into the New York City Marathon Through the Charity Program
The New York City Marathon's charity program offers runners guaranteed entry and a chance to give back to the community. You just commit to raising money for any of the charities listed on the marathon website and you'll be guaranteed a race entry. Some of the charities offer marathon training in exchange for your fundraising efforts. Get more information on the New York City Marathon's charity partners on their website.
How to Get Guaranteed Entry for the 2014 New York City MarathonThe following groups are eligible for guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon:
- Members of New York Road Runners (must join by December 31, 2013) who completed at least nine NYRR-scored, qualifying races, and who have volunteered for one event, during the prior calendar year. More about the 9+1 guaranteed entry option.
- Members of New York Road Runners who completed at least nine NYRR-scored, qualifying races, and who make a $1,000 USD donation in support of NYRR's youth, community, and volunteer programs during the prior calendar year.
- Entrants in the prior year's New York City Marathon who canceled prior to the race.
- Those who have completed 15 or more New York City Marathons.
- Those who have applied but been denied entry for the last three years in a row, and who did not secure an entry through alternative methods in those years.
- Runners who meet the qualifying time standards in a half or full marathon whose results can be certified online. (See the Guaranteed Entry page for qualifying times by age and gender.)