- If you're wearing headphones (which isn't a good idea in races), take them off so you can hear the spectators' cheers.
- Make sure you look up at the camera as you cross the finish line so you make sure you get a good finishing photo. Don't look down at your watch to check your time!
- Once you've crossed the finish line, don't immediately stop. There may be runners coming in right behind you, so keep going until it's safe to come to a stop.
- If you're experiencing a lot of pain, feel light-headed, or just not right, head immediately to the medical tent -- it should be right next to the finish line.
- If they're handing out medals, finisher's T-shirts, or other reward at the finish, look for the volunteers handing them out so you don't miss out on your swag. Some people are so distracted at the finish line that they walk right past the goodies.
- Make sure you get something to eat and drink, but don't take more than your fair share. The back of the pack runners will appreciate it when there are still enough goodies for them at the end.
- If you're feeling good after you finish, go back to the finish line and cheer on other runners still coming in. They'll really appreciate the support!
Also see: How Can I Have a Stronger Race Finish?
How to Recover from a Race
When Can I Run My Next Marathon?
Share Your Finish Line Story
What to Do After You Finish a Marathon
What to Do After You Finish a Half Marathon