Training and Racing
- 5K Training Schedules
- 8K or 5 Mile Training Schedules
- 10K Training Schedules
- Half Marathon Training Schedules
- Marathon Training Schedules
- Racing and Training Tips
- Run/Walk Training Tips
- Speed Workouts
- 5K Racing and Training Advice
- 10K Racing and Training Advice
- Half Marathon Training and Running Advice
- Marathon Training and Running Advice
- Staying Motivated
- Half Marathon and Marathon Races
- FAQs About Racing
5K Training Schedules
Get free training schedules for the 5K race distance.
- 5K Beginner Training Schedule
- E-Course: Beginner 5K Training Program
- 5K Beginner Run/Walk Schedule
- E-Course: Run/Walk to Continuous Run 5K Training Program
- How to Train for a 5K in Two Weeks
- 4-Week Beginner 5K Training Schedule
- 6-Week Beginner 5K Training Schedule
- Advanced Beginner 5K Training Schedule
- Intermediate 5K Training Schedule
- 4-Week Intermediate 5K Training Schedule
- Advanced 5K Training Schedule
- 4-Week Advanced 5K Training Schedule
8K or 5 Mile Training Schedules
Get free training schedules for the 8K or 5 mile race distance.
- Beginner 8K or 5 Mile Training Schedule
- Advanced Beginner 8K or 5 Mile Training Schedule
- Intermediate 8K or 5 Mile Training Schedule
- Advanced 8K or 5 Mile Training Schedule
10K Training Schedules
Get free training schedules for the 10K race distance.
- Beginner 10K Schedule
- E-Course: Run Your First 10K
- Beginner 10K Run/Walk Training Schedule
- 4-Week Beginner 10K Training Schedule
- Advanced Beginner 10K Schedule
- Intermediate 10K Schedule
- 4-Week Intermediate 10K Training Schedule
- Advanced 10K Schedule
- 4-Week Advanced 10K Training Schedule
Half Marathon Training Schedules
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced runner, here are training schedules for the half marathon distance.
- Beginner Half Marathon Schedule
- E-Course: Run Your First Half Marathon
- Run/Walk Beginner Half Marathon Schedule
- Advanced Beginner Half Marathon Schedule
- Intermediate Half Marathon Schedule
- Advanced Half Marathon Schedule
Marathon Training Schedules
Get training schedules for the full marathon race distance.
- Beginner Marathon Training Schedule
- Beginner Run/Walk Marathon Training Schedule
- Advanced Beginner Marathon Schedule
- Intermediate Marathon Schedule
- 22-Week Marathon Training Schedule
Racing and Training Tips
Get tips and strategies for race training and running your best.
- How to Pick the Right Race to Run
- Common Racing Mistakes to Avoid
- Road Race Etiquette Tips
- Race Day Tips for Your First Road Race
- How to Take Water from Hydration Stops
- How to Deal With Crowds at Races
- How to Increase Your Distance
- Tips for Racing in Hot Weather
- Tips for Racing in Cold Weather
- Tips for Running Faster
- How to Predict Your Race Times
- Why Do I Feel Sluggish During My Runs?
- Mental Tips for Running Races
- How to Run Hills
- Tips for Managing Pre-Race Jitters and Performance Anxiety
- Strategies for Running Faster Races
- How to Deal With Discomfort During Races
- 10 Things Runners Should Stop Doing
- How to Finish Races Stronger and Faster
Run/Walk Training Tips
Do you want to run/walk during training and racing? Get advice for using a run/walk method.
- How to Do the Run/Walk Method
- How to Measure Your Run/Walk Intervals
- Can I Walk During My Runs?
- Tips for Your Walk Breaks
Stretching is the key to helping runners stay flexible and injury-free.
- Video: Stretches for Runners
- All About Running and Stretching
- Yoga Poses for Runners
- Video: How to Stretch Your Lower Body
- Tips for Proper Stretching
- Should I Stretch Before or After I Run?
- Head to Toe Running Stretches
- Calf Stretch for Runners
- Hamstring Stretch for Runners
- Hip Flexor Stretch for Runners
- Quad Stretch for Runners
- Triceps Stretch for Runners
- Groin Stretch for Runners
- Hip and Lower Back Stretch for Runners
- Arms and Abs Stretch for Runners
Adding speed workouts to your running routine can help you become a stronger, faster runner.
- How to Run Faster
- 8 Rules for Speed Training
- 30-Minute Effort/Pace Workout
- Pyramid Speed Workout
- Fartlek Treadmill Workout
- Treadmill Interval Workout
- Pyramid Track Workout
- Treadmill Hill Workout
- Mile Repeats for Marathon Training
- How to Do Yasso 800s
- How to Do Strides
- How to Do Hill Repeats
- Ladder Speed Workout for the Track
- 4 Ways to Get Faster
Including strength-training as part of your weekly workouts can help you get stronger and avoid running injuries.
- Video: Ab Workouts for Runners
- Video: Lower Body Toning with Lunges and Squats
- Video: No-Crunch Core and Ab Strengthening
- Video: Glute Toning Exercises
- Video: Back Strengthening Exercises
- Video: Lower Body Plyometrics Workouts
- Video: Lower Body Toning With Exercise Ball
- Quick Lower Body Workout
- Strengthen Your Core
- Fitness Ball Push-up
- Fitness Ball Crunch
- Bird Dog Core Exercise
- Forward Lunge Exercise
- Benefits of Strength Training
- Should I Lift Weights Before or After Running?
5K Racing and Training Advice
Interested in running a 5K? Get advice to help you successfully run the 3.1-mile race.
- 5K Training Schedules and Tips
- Can I Run a 5K?
- Tips for Running Your First 5K
- How Long Will It Take Me to Run a 5K?
- What's a Good Time for a 5K?
- How Long Does It Take to Train for a 5K?
- 5K Racing Mistakes to Avoid
- 5K Advice from Other Runners
- What Should I Do Before My 5K Race?
- How Beginner Runners Can Run a Faster 5K
- How Experienced Runners Can Run a Faster 5K
- 5 Things to Know Before Running Your First 5K
10K Racing and Training Advice
Thinking about training for a 10K? Get tips on how to get ready for the the 6.2-mile race.
Half Marathon Training and Running Advice
Ready to train for and run a half marathon? Get advice to help you successfully run the 13.1-mile race.
- Half Marathon Training Schedules and Tips
- Tips for Running Your First Half Marathon
- 13 Reasons to Run a Half Marathon
- Tips to Make Long Runs Easier
- Nutrition and Hydration Guide for Long Distance Running
- When Can I Run Through Pain?
- Mental Tips for Your Half Marathon
- How to Predict Your Half Marathon Time
- What to Do the Day Before Your Half Marathon
- Half Marathon Recovery Tips
- 13 Mistakes Half Marathoners Should Avoid
- Share Your Half Marathon Running Advice
- Starting Line Tips
- What to Do After Your Half Marathon
- How Long Does It Take to Train for a Half Marathon?
- 13 Things to Know Before Running a Half Marathon
- 8 Tips to Run Your Best Half Marathon
- 10 Best Things About Half Marathon Running
Marathon Training and Running Advice
Running a marathon is an exciting and challenging endeavor. Use these tips and advice to successfully complete the 26.2-mile race.
- Marathon Training and Running Tips for Beginners
- Marathon Mistakes to Avoid
- What to Do the Day Before Your Marathon
- 9 Last-Minute Marathon Tips
- Tips to Make Your Long Runs Easier
- 5 Rookie Marathon Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Run a Faster Marathon
- What to Eat and Drink Before Your Long Runs
- How to Avoid Hitting the Wall
- Basic Marathon Training Gear
- How to Run Through Discomfort
- Why Am I Gaining Weight During Marathon Training?
- Get Mentally Prepared for Your Marathon
- How to Taper Before a Marathon
- How to Predict Your Marathon Time
- What to Eat Before Your Marathon
- Should I Run a Half Marathon Before a Full?
- Marathon Morning Advice
- Marathon Race Day Tips
- Marathon Packing List
Getting inspired to run can be a challenge to runners of any level. Find out how you can get and stay motivated to keep running.
- Tips for Staying Motivated to Run
- 7 Reasons to Run a Race
- Mental Strategies for Your Long Runs
- Top Excuses to Not Run - And How to Beat Them
- Get Out of Your Running Rut
- How to Avoid Burnout from Running
- 7 Ways to Stay Motivated to Run
- How to Find Running Partners
- Tips for Running While Traveling
- Motivational Running Quotes
- How to Stick to Your New Year's Resolutions
- Inspiring Running Quotes
- How to Get Over the Running Blahs
- When Did You Call Yourself a Runner?
- How to Set SMART Running Goals
- 12 Weeks of Running Quotes
- How Did You Become a Runner?
- Share Your Half Marathon Story
- Share Your Marathon Story
- E-course: Improve Your Running Motivation
Half Marathon and Marathon Races
Looking for a half marathon or marathon to run? Get information on some of the biggest races.
- Top Spring Marathons in the U.S.
- Top Fall Marathons in the U.S.
- Top Winter Marathons in the U.S.
- Bucket List Marathons
- Fast Marathons in the U.S.
- How to Get Into the New York City Marathon
- How to Get Into the Boston Marathon
- Share Your Marathon Story
- Best Spring U.S. Half Marathons
- Share Your Half Marathon Story
FAQs About Racing
Get answers to commonly-asked questions about racing.
- Can I Eat Before a Race?
- Should I Run the Day Before a Race?
- Can I Wear Headphones in a Race?
- What's a PR?
- How Can I Predict My Race Time?
- What's a B-Tag?
- How Do I Deal With Crowds at Races?
- Can I Run a Race With a Jogging Stroller?
- Can I Run a Race With Shin Splints?
- How Strict Are Time Limits in Races?
- Can I Run in a Race I Didn't Register For?
- Am I Allowed to Walk During a Race?
- What If I Can't Sleep the Night Before a Race?
- What If I Can't Finish a Race?
- Can I Run a 5K Without Training?
- What Should I Wear in a Race?
- Should I Carry My Own Water or Use the Water Stops?
- Are Races Cancelled Because of Rain?
- Can I Run a Race With a Cold?