1. "The start of a World Cross Country event is like riding a horse in the middle of a buffalo stampede. It's a thrill if you keep up, but one slip and you're nothing but hoof prints."
2. "The freedom of Cross Country is so primitive. It's woman vs. nature."
- Lynn Jennings, Three-time World Cross Country Champ
3. "The footing was really atrocious. I loved it. I really like Cross Country; you're one with the mud."
4. "Cross Country: No half times, no time outs, no substitutions. It must be the only true sport."
5. "We told our guys to hold on for 30 minutes of agony for 12 months of glory."
- John McDonnell, Arkansas Country Country Coach
6. "Number one is just to gain a passion for running. To love the morning, to love the trail, to love the pace on the track. And if some kid gets really good at it, that's cool too."
- Pat Tyson, track and cross country coach
7. "My sport is your sport's punishment."
-seen on cross country runner's T-shirt
8. "Cross Country is like poker. You have to be holding five good cards all the time."
-Rollie Geiger, North Carolina State Coach
9. "For something to hurt that bad, and feel so good, it's just inexplicable."
- Adam Goucher, NCAA Cross Country Division 1 Individual Champ - 1998
Back to RUNNING QUOTES