- "We all have bad days and bad workouts, when running gets ugly, when split times seem slow, when you wonder why you started. It will pass."
- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great!"
-Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own
- "There's no such thing as a good run that is fluke. But you can have fluke bad runs."
-Jack Daniels, running author and coach
- "Bad workouts and races -- we all have them and we always will. Accept that the body has an ebb and flow that we don't quite understand. Some days you just feel 'off.' As hard as it is to accept a bad workout or race when there are valid reasons, it's doubly challenging when there appears to be no reason at all. I used to worry about this, but now I just shrug it off as the quirkiness of the body and mind. Don't invest in it or over think it. Move on."
-Greg McMillan, in Gibson's Daily Running Quotes
- "Even when you have gone as far as you can, and everything hurts, and you are staring at the specter of self-doubt, you can find a bit more strength deep inside you, if you look closely enough."
- "Relish the bad training runs. Without them it's difficult to recognize, much less appreciate, the good ones."
- "The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."
- Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ
- "I never feel more alive than when I'm in great pain, struggling against insurmountable odds and untold adversity. Hardship? Suffering? Bring it!"
-Dean Karnazes, ultramarathoner and author
- "Don't get too high about your good runs or too down about your bad runs."
- "There are times when you run a marathon and you wonder, Why am I doing this? But you take a drink of water, and around the next bend, you get your wind back, remember the finish line, and keep going."
- Steve Jobs
- "No matter how far you walk, how hard you work, or how bad it hurts, you'll always get to where you need to be."
- "Experience has taught me how important it is to just keep going, focusing on running fast and relaxed. Eventually pain passes and the flow returns. It's part of racing."
- Frank Shorter
- "Pain is temporary, pride is forever."
-Seen on a marathon spectator sign
- "There will be days you don't think you can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime of knowing you have."
- "If you feel bad at 10 miles, you're in trouble. If you feel bad at 20 miles, you're normal. If you don't feel bad at 26 miles, you're abnormal."
-Rob de Castella, on running marathons
- "If you never have a 'bad' day, you're probably doing something wrong; if you never have a 'good' day, you're definitely doing something wrong."
-Mark Remy, Runner's World columnist
Motivational Running Quotes
Quotes About Running Marathons
Funny Running Quotes
Sign up Daily Running Quotes by email.
Back to RUNNING QUOTES