-George Sheehan, running author
11."I would love for everybody in this country to run one marathon a year."
- Gary Muhrcke, winner of the first NYC Marathon
12. "I also feel it usually takes four or five races to hit your best marathon for your body to be accustomed to the training AND the race itself."
13. "Marathoning. The triumph of desire over reason."
14. "Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder."
15. "If you feel bad at 10 miles, you're in trouble. If you feel bad at 20 miles, you're normal. If you don't feel bad at 26 miles, you're abnormal."
-Rob de Castella
16. "You can never be sure. That's what makes the marathon both fearsome and fascinating. The deeper you go into the unknown, the more uncertain you become. But then you finish. And you wonder later, 'How did I do that?' This question compels you to keep making the journey from the usual to the magical."
17. "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."
-Frank Shorter, 1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist
More Marathon Running Quotes on next page -->