1. "Life is often compared to a marathon, but I think it is more like being a sprinter; long stretches of hard work punctuated by brief moments in which we are given the opportunity to perform at our best."
2. "We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."
3. "Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."
4. "Spend at least some of your training time, and other parts of your day, concentrating on what you are doing in training and visualizing your success."
5. "I don't rate myself as a fantastic, talented athlete. I just have perseverance. I'm a cart horse. I work hard."
6. "Running gives me confidence."
7. "My thoughts before a big race are usually pretty simple. I tell myself: 'Get out of the blocks, run your race, stay relaxed. If you run your race, you'll win... channel your energy. Focus.'"
8. "When anyone tells me I can't do anything, I'm just not listening any more."
-Florence Griffith Joyner
9. "The medals don't mean anything and the glory doesn't last. It's all about your happiness. The rewards are going to come, but my happiness is just loving the sport and having fun performing."
10. "Every time I fail, I assume I will be a stronger person for it. I keep on running figuratively and literally, despite a limp that gets more noticeable with each passing season, because for me there has always been a place to go and a terrible urgency to get there."
- Joan Benoit Samuelson
11. "As badly as I want a medal, I know there is a lot of luck involved in that. I want to put myself in position to be in the top three, give it my all and hope luck comes my way."
12. "The last mile was a cross between savoring the moment and just being really grateful that I was almost done."
-Shalane Flanagan, after winning the 2012 Olympic Women's Marathon Trials
13. "I have my own unique road that has had many exciting ups and heart-breaking downs, but one thing I know is that my journey is not over and the best is yet to come."
Back to RUNNING QUOTES INDEX