Runs at 30-minute EP are performed at a pace that the runner can maintain for an all-out 30-minute effort. This workout is considered hard to very hard and this level of intensity should only comprise 10-12% of the competitive runner’s total training volume.
Here is a 30-minute EP workout from Bobby McGee, an Olympic-level running and triathlon coach and author of Run Workouts for Runners and Triathletes.
- 5 minute fast-paced walking
- 7-12 minute easy run
- 5 minute gradual pick-up run, spend the fifth minute running as fast as you can maintain for the full minute with good running form
- Run 4-6 strides for 15 seconds or 100 meters each
- Run for 2km at a pace you think you could sustain for 30 minutes. Walk for 4 minutes, spending the last minute performing a quick dynamic warm-up.
- Repeat this three more times.
- 3 minute fast walk
- 5-10 minute easy run
- 3 minute walk