It's important to eat before runs, especially if you're running long. What do you usually eat before your runs? Have you found the perfect pre-run meal or snack? Share your favorite pre-run foods and get ideas from other runners about other foods to try.
- Sounds weird but I did an 800m race and got a pb!!!
- —Guest Person
Favorite Running Foods
- If it's a morning run, I have cereal and a banana (I find oatmeal gives me acid reflux) and before an afternoon or evening run, fruit, yogurt, or bagel.
- —Guest Joanne D
Coffee and Dates
- The ultimate pre-run meal: a double espresso or a strong cup of coffee with a couple of dates/
- —Guest Runner'sGlobe
- A potato, punch a few holes in with a fork, and stick in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Good energy, carbs but no fats or protein. I have low blood pressure so eating it with salt tastes good and helps a lot. But not too much. And a banana for runs longer than an hour.
- —Guest Marathon runner
- I will definitely eat oatmeal before a run, but if it is over 10 miles then I might substitute a bagel with PB instead of oatmeal. And I'll always have a banana.
- —Guest Kelsey
go-to pre-run breakfast
- Black coffee, 1/2 whole wheat bagel w/ peanut butter, and a banana.
- —Guest tom
- oatmeal and coffee for sure!!! for longer runs i'll add half of a banana with a dab of PB. sooo yummy and such a good fuel!
- —Guest runnerchick
oatmeal and coffee
- I always have a bowl of oatmeal and a banana before a long run. If I'm doing a shorter run in the morning, I'll have toast with peanut butter. And I always have to have my morning coffee -- can't get going without it!