From the article: Best and Worst Pre-Run Foods
It's important to eat before runs, especially if you're running long. What do you usually eat before your runs? Have you found the perfect pre-run meal or snack? Share your favorite pre-run foods and get ideas from other runners about other foods to try. Share Your Favorite Foods
- Before a long run, a baked potato is my absolute best running fuel. I carry reeces pieces to snack on through the run, plus Awake chocolate (contains some caffeine) really helped on my half marathon.
- —Guest Kat
Cereal, lots and lots of cereal.
- I'm a huge running fanatic AND a huge cereal fanatic. I work out every day and get my morning started with a nice big bowl of cereal before heading out on my runs or to the gym (but I give myself about an hour to digest to avoid stomach aches).
- —Guest viq
My pre-run breakfast
- Try the Go- Lean bar from Kashi. They are very filling but not too filling, plus, they are VERY high in protein and fiber. For short runs, I aim around two or three nice bites of it. For longer runs, I aim around half of it and save the rest for a snack.
- —Guest Guest Kait
- A bowl of Rice Crispies (& maybe a bagel/energy gel). I'm a cereal fanatic & tried them all pre-marathon run....it may be psychological, I dunno, but they're light, tasty & I've never had issues.
- —Guest Ged
- Long runs -oatmeal and banana one hour before. For short runs only a banana.and out the door I go
- —Guest Jason G
Cinnamon toast crunch!
- Cinnamon toast crunch!!! Not super healthy...but for those long runs and marathons
- —Guest Sj
- I'll have part of an apple and pb if it's a short run, and English muffin with pb if it's longer.
- —Guest liz
what to eat before a run
- I always have an espresso and vegimite on 1 toast 1 hr before a half marathon or 14km run.i find it keeps me going till the end of the race. Remember to drink along the way.
- —Guest jacko
- Sounds weird but I did an 800m race and got a pb!!!
- —Guest Person
Favorite Running Foods
- If it's a morning run, I have cereal and a banana (I find oatmeal gives me acid reflux) and before an afternoon or evening run, fruit, yogurt, or bagel.
- —Guest Joanne D
Coffee and Dates
- The ultimate pre-run meal: a double espresso or a strong cup of coffee with a couple of dates/
- —Guest Runner'sGlobe
- A potato, punch a few holes in with a fork, and stick in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Good energy, carbs but no fats or protein. I have low blood pressure so eating it with salt tastes good and helps a lot. But not too much. And a banana for runs longer than an hour.
- —Guest Marathon runner
- I will definitely eat oatmeal before a run, but if it is over 10 miles then I might substitute a bagel with PB instead of oatmeal. And I'll always have a banana.
- —Guest Kelsey
go-to pre-run breakfast
- Black coffee, 1/2 whole wheat bagel w/ peanut butter, and a banana.
- —Guest tom
- oatmeal and coffee for sure!!! for longer runs i'll add half of a banana with a dab of PB. sooo yummy and such a good fuel!
- —Guest runnerchick
oatmeal and coffee
- I always have a bowl of oatmeal and a banana before a long run. If I'm doing a shorter run in the morning, I'll have toast with peanut butter. And I always have to have my morning coffee -- can't get going without it!