- "Why are you so slow?"
- "Why do you run? It's SO boring!"
- "You run so much -- why haven't you lost weight?"
- "Why didn't you beat your time from last year?"
- "You're running another marathon? Why would you do that?"
- "So when do you think you'll qualify for Boston?
- "I get tired driving that far!"
- "So how far is this marathon?"
- "Running will ruin your knees!"
- "Don't you know people die running marathons?"
- "Why would you pay that much just to run a race?"
- "You're almost there!" (when the finish line is nowhere in sight)
- "So what if you're injured? I'd be happy if a doctor told me I couldn't run a race!"
- "Oh, so everyone gets a medal at the end?"
- "I thought runners were supposed to be skinny!"
- "So did you win?"
- "I tried running once –- I hated it!"
- "I would run but I don't like to sweat that much."
- "I didn't think old people could run that far!"
- "I did a marathon once -- it was one of the 5K ones."
- (to a pregnant runner) "Are you trying to have the baby while you're running or something?"
- "Who cares if you have a race tomorrow? Just have a beer!"
10 Things Not to Say to Marathon Runners
You Know You're a Runner When...
Tips for Marathon Spectators