The pre-marathon tapering period can be a stressful time. You're nervous about your upcoming race, you feel like you're losing fitness, and you just want your marathon to be here already. To lighten your mood and de-stress, see how many of these pre-tapering behaviors you can relate to.
You know you're tapering when...
- you're constantly hungry.
- you're having dreams that you show up to the race start in your underwear or without your running shoes.
- you're cranky from not running.
- you find yourself frequently saying, "after the marathon..."
- you're reading a lot of motivational quotes about marathons.
- your friends/significant other/co-workers run in the opposite direction when you mention the word "marathon."
- you keep flip-flopping between wishing the race was tomorrow and thinking it would be great to have a few more weeks of training.
- you keep asking people for recommendations for your marathon song playlist.
- you visit the starting line area to visualize race day.
- you've completely lost focus at work.
- you're convinced you've gained 10 pounds since you started tapering.
- you feel sluggish and like you could run forever...all during the same run.
- you've planned out three possible outfits for the race and keep asking running friends for opinions on which one to go with.
- you have random bursts of energy when you want to reorganize your closets or kitchen pantry.
- you've studied the course map enough that you've memorized where all the Porta-potties will be on the course.