Getting Started: Before you even take your first steps, here are some important basics you should know.
- Getting Medical Clearance
- Proper Running Form
- How to Warm Up and Cool Down
- How to Breathe While Running
- How to Do the Run/Walk Method
- Safety Tips for Running
- Basic Rules for Running Etiquette
- Common Running Mistakes
- How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
- Tips for Hot Weather Running
- Tips for Cold Weather Running
- 7 Essentials for Runners
- 8 Tips for Running in Your 50s and Beyond
- 17 Commonly-Asked Questions About Learning to Run
Beginners' Training Schedules: When you're first getting started with running, it's helpful to follow a schedule. Here are some training schedules designed with beginners in mind.
Learn to Run Schedules and Programs:
- 4 Weeks to Run One Mile
- 4 Weeks to Run Two Miles
- 8-Week Plan to 30 Minutes Continuous Running
- Email-course: 3 Weeks to a 30-Minute Running Habit
- Run/Walk 5K Training Schedule
- Train for Your First 5K
- Email-course: How to Run Your First 5K
- 8K or 5-mile Beginner Training Schedule
- 8K or 5-mile Advanced Beginner Training Schedule
- Run/Walk 10K Training Schedule
- Beginners' 10K Training Schedule
- Run/Walk Half-Marathon Schedule
- Email course: Beginner 10K Training Program
- Run/Walk Half-Marathon Training Schedule
- Beginners' Half-Marathon Training Schedule
- Email-course: Train for Your First Half-Marathon
- Run/Walk Marathon Training Schedule
- Beginners' Marathon Training Schedule
Beginner 5K Training Schedules:
Beginner 8K or 5-mile Training Schedules:
Beginner 10K Training Schedules:
Beginner Half Marathon and Marathon Training Schedules:
Frequently-Asked Questions from Beginner Runners: It's very normal to have lots of questions when you're learning to run and starting a new running habit. Here are some common questions from new runners.
- Where Should I Run?
- How Can I Get Over Feeling Self-Conscious About Running in Public?
- Can I Walk During My Runs?
- When Does Running Get Easier?
- What Should I Wear When Running?
- How Can I Get Rid of Side Stitches?
- When Is It OK to Run Through Pain?
- When Will I Feel a Runner's High?
Treadmill Running Basics: Many new runners get started and learn to run on a treadmill. There are lots of treadmill running benefits, such as not having to worry about the bad weather or time of day that you're running. Here are some basics about how to run on a treadmill.
- Common Treadmill Running Mistakes
- How to Beat Boredom on the Treadmill
- Tips for Treadmill Running
- Treadmill vs. Outdoor Running
- 7 Commonly-Asked Questions About Treadmill Running
Nutrition and Hydration for Beginner Runners: A runner's diet is important not for only maintaining good health, but also to promote peak performance. Here's some basic nutrition and hydration advice for beginner runners.
- Should I Eat Before a Run?
- Best and Worst Pre-Run Foods
- What if I Don't Have Time to Eat Before Running?
- What Should I Eat After a Run?
- Hydration and Running
- Do I Need to Eat During a Run?
- Will I Get Cramps from Drinking During Runs?
- Do I Need to Drink a Sports Drink While Running?
Stretching: Stretching after a brief warm-up and after your runs can help prevent injuries. Here are some basics about stretching:
- Video: Stretches for Runners
- Tips for Stretching
- Should I Stretch Before or After my Warm-up?
- Head-to-Toe Stretches for Runners
Staying Motivated: Maintaining your motivation is tough for any level runner, but especially for beginners. Here are some ways you can stay inspired to keep running.
- Tips for Staying Motivated
- Email-course: Improve Your Running Motivation
- Ways to Get Out of Your Running Rut
- How to Avoid Burnout from Running
- Top Excuses to Not Run – And How to Beat Them
- Motivational Running Quotes
- Email-course: 12 Weeks of Running Quotes
- How Can I Feel More Confident When I'm Running?
- How to Stick to Your Running Habit
- How to Find Running Partners
- How to Start Running Again