Do this exercise a few times a week to develop the muscle and prevent shin splints.
- Stand upright on the ledge of a step, with your toes hanging over the ledge.
- Hold onto a wall, railing, or chair for balance.
- Extend your toes as far out over the edge as you can. Only your heels should be on the edge.
- Pull your toes on your right foot upward toward your shins as far as you can and hold for a brief second, feeling the contraction in your shins (anterior tibialis).
- Release and slowly lower your toes to the starting position.
- Do the same thing with your left foot.
- Do 2 to 3 sets of 12 repetitions on each side.